Rachel's Habit



My name is Rachel and I have been crocheting for about 5 years now. I always remember having afghans around the house when I was little. My mother used to make them. When I got married and had a family of my own, I discovered that afghans aren't easy to come by anymore. You can't buy them in the stores, they're very rare at craft shows and not everyone has a relative that makes them anymore, so I began making my own.

I'll admit my first effort didn't work out so well. It completely unraveled in the wash, haha. I've improved greatly since then, I promise. Soon I was making them for everyone in my family.

Crocheting can become a bit addictive and before long I was making new afghans faster than I could use them. My husband became convinced I was going to bury him in yarn. I decided that other people might have the same problem I initially had and not everyone has the time or inclination to devote to making their own, thus my new business was born.

If you've never used a handmade afghan, you're really missing out. The woven texture and holes in the pattern allow just enough air circulation so that you stay just warm enough without overheating. The softness, texture and heft of the material is unlike anything else and they make beautiful decorative pieces. I always welcome new ideas or color schemes if you have something special in mind. Rest assured, I'm very picky about the texture of the yarns I use. I would never make something I wouldn't be proud to keep myself. You will find no scratchy blankets here. Enjoy!

0 Comments: