inSaneity: A Design Dichotomy

The Simplicity Pillow by inSaneity.


Available for sale
on Trina&Friends.

I am often asked, "What is inSaneity? How did you come up with such a name?"


When I was finally convinced to turn my passion into an official business I was hanging out and talking with my husband. He's my best friend. We are quite the goofy pair. Anyway, I was a bit frustrated with creating an identity and finding a fit for what I do. I told him the name had to really mean something. I am not just a textile artist. I am a very spiritual person and live deliberately so I don't make light of decisions. This one stumped me.

"How can I be described in one word? How can I explain the yin and yang that exists within?

The part of me that wants to change the world by being a superior philanthropist and the other part that just wants to sit in the south of France with a handcrafted champagne flute and sip all day."



He said "inSaneity" and laughed.

I said, "That's it!"

I immediately took off, grabbed my laptop and this happened:



inSaneity is a contradiction

a creative entity

that stands in the middle

of indulgent luxury

and wholistic simplicity

inSaneity

is an epiphany

the exact moment you realize

you belong everywhere

yet nowhere at all

it is an obsession with Bergdorfs

and a commitment to green

i am wearing Argyle diamonds

in a recycled white t

I am inSaneity



- dtm 2008


So there you have it. This is me and what I represent. Not mental or anything, just passionate about a lot of stuff. I think this dichotomy comes through in my art. I am honored when others find the beauty in it, but it is really just the way I express myself and "embrace my insaneity".




0 Comments: